1/1 Photo of Rosemary's Creamy Low Fat Chicken Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Perfect for a cold winter night, healthy and delicious! Warms you body and soul, without tons of calories. I put this together spur of the moment, so good I had to record it for posterity. As with any soup recipe, you can use whatever veggies you have on hand... fresh or frozen, and can add just a handful (1/2 - 1 cup) of rice (50 minutes before it's done simmering) or pasta (8-12 minutes before it's done)if you like. This is a "loose" recipe as I don't measure much...would be easy to increase or reduce amounts to make as much as you want. Please use organic ingredients as much as possible, tastes better and is better for the earth and your body. The flavor of this soup is amazing, a must have!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (May be frozen)
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 1 1/2 cups red onions, chopped and divided
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 cup golden potato, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup fresh rosemary, chopped and divided in half or 4 tablespoons dried rosemary, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herb seasoning, divided in half
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme or 4 tablespoons fresh thyme, divided in half
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder, divided in half
- 4 teaspoons onion powder, divided in half
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1Fill Large soup pot (with tight-fitting lid) 2/3 full of water, should be around 12 cups.
- 2Add chicken, cover and bring to a Boil.
- 3Reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- 4Add garlic cloves & carrots, 1 cup onion, 1/4 cup Fresh Rosemary (or 2 Tbsp dried rosemary), 1 Tbsp dried Italian Herb Blend, 2 Tsp dried Thyme (or 2 Tbsp fresh Thyme), 2 Tsp Garlic Powder, 2 Tsp Onion Powder, Bay Leaves, Salt and White Pepper.
- 5Cover Pot and slowly simmer for 1-2 hours (more time = more flavor, cook at least until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear), stirring occasionally.
- 6Remove cooked chicken breasts (over a plate to catch the juices) QUICKLY slice lengthwise with a knife, and then shred the meat with a fork. Return meat and juices to pot.
- 7Add potatoes, corn, and rest of herbs & seasonings (reserve just a pinch of fresh rosemary).
- 8Cover pot and slowly simmer until potatoes are cooked through and soft, about 15 minutes.
- 9Wisk together milk, sour cream and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Make sure cornstarch is dissolved fully.
- 10Add milk mixture to soup pot, along with the last pinch (about 1 Tsp) of fresh rosemary. Stir slowly but continuously, uncovered, over low heat just until it reaches a boil.
- 11Turn heat off and recover pot, allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- 12Serve and enjoy the goodness!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosemary's Creamy Low Fat Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.6
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.3 mg
- Sodium 635.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian herb seasoning