Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
from Tom Douglas's book, and I love it. How can something so simple taste so wonderful.
Make and share this Rosemary White Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried white beans
- 3⁄4 cup diced bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cover the beans with cold water and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- They will double in size so use a lot of water.
- Heat the bacon in a large pot over medium heat, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Then add the chicken stock and water til simmering.
- Drain beans of their water and add to pot.
- Cook on medium heat until soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
- There will be just enough liquid in the pot so it is frothy-- if necessary turn up the heat to reduce the liquid.
- Stir in the rosemary and butter, and season to taste before serving.
I used Canadian bacon and left out the butter so as to make this okay for the South Beach Diet. Very simple but very tasty dish. Fresh rosemary in beans is something I never would have done. I will from now on. Thanks Gay.
My husband really loved the beans. You can also use the quick soak method instead of soaking the beans overnight. Place the beans in a pot, cover with two inches of water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Cover and let stand for one hour. Great recipe, great flavors. I was looking for a new way to cook beans and this was it! Thanks!
I made mine in my crock pot and used dried rosemary...deee-licious. Thanks, Gay!