Absolutely delicious! I often have requests from friends to make this pasta salad at cook outs, etc. This recipe is adapted from Southern Living.
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (I eyeball this and use 3 or 4 sprigs of Rosemary, you can also use dried Rosemary but it won't taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 (9 ounce) packages frozen cheese tortellini (can sub with one 20 oz package refrigerated tortellini)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut to 1/4-inch dice
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; rinse and drain.
- While tortellini cooks, cut tomatoes, rosemary, and onion; set aside.
- Combine balsamic vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper, and olive oil in small bowl; whisk to emulsify.
- Toss pasta, tomato/rosemary/onion, and vinegar mixture in large bowl.
- Cover and chill for at least two hours before serving.
My Husband works for a food company and we can get products very cheaply sometimes through the company. I had a bunch of tortellini taking up room in my freezer so I thought I would try this to use it up. What a great recipe! I will have to get more tortelinni so I can make it again! LOL I didn't change a thing from the original recipe and it was great.
This makes a wonderful combination of flavors! I used a prosciutto and imported parmigiano/reggiano cheese combination ravioli for this simply because I did not have any tortellini on hand. While the ravioli is really too large for a "pasta salad", it did prove to me that this is an excellent recipe by taste and color! I used fresh rosemary from my herb garden which proved to be an excellent choice. Whenever I do have tortellini on hand again, I will definitely make this recipe again!! Thnaks for posting, larchie!