Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
DH and I enjoyed this recipe from the August 2012 Bon Appetit for lunch. The recipe suggests using a "colorful assortment of bell peppers" in the salad. You will need to use 4 bamboo skewers soaked in water for an hour before using or 4 metal skewers. Prep time includes 10 minutes of letting the salad stand.
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 small assorted sweet peppers, 2 sliced into 1/4-inch rounds, 2 cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 small onion, cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced, soaked in ice water
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 4 ounces arugula (about 8 cups loosely packed)
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb swordfish steak, trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon generous minced fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat).
- Bring oil and garlic to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until garlic is toasted and light golden brown, about 6 minutes (remove from heat if garlic is cooking too quickly).
- Pour oil through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl and let cool. (The garlic could burn if left in the oil). Reserve garlic chips for garnish.
- Combine peppers, onion, jalapeno, vinegar, and 1/4 cup garlic oil in a large bowl. Add arugula; toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place 3-4 cubes swordfish on each skewer. Brush fish with remaining garlic oil; sprinkle with rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill swordfish until just opaque in the center and lightly browned in spots, about 2 minutes on each of the 4 sides.
- Divide salad among plates. Place a skewer atop each. Garnish with garlic chips and lemon quarters for squeezing over.