Recipe by Nasseh
Another great sounding recipe from Zamouri Spices. Quatre Epices is a spice mixture containing white peppercorns, dried ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
GREAT TASTING SOUP! I did change one thing (slight change only) in that I didn't peel the yams! I did dice them quite small, though, so when they were pureed, there were still small bits of the tasty peel, which I happen to like! This big fan of the sweet potato will definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Went to the Market tag]
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes or 2 lbs yams, peeled & cut into 1 inch cubes
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 teaspoons quatre-epices
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the rosemary needles from the sprigs. Mince the needles & pecans in a food processor until very fine & reserve for later.
- Melt the butter in a large pot then fry garlic and onions over medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Add the yams, cinnamon sticks, star anise, rosemary branches and the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the yams are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and discard the cinnamon sticks, star anise, & rosemary sprigs.
- In a food processor, purée the soup in batches until smooth. Return the puréed soup to the pot, add the remaining spices and cream, and heat just to the boiling point.
- Reduce the heat to low & simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat then taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. If the soup is too thick, add a bit of cream or stock.
- To serve, garnish with the reserved rosemary and pecans.