Prep 10 mins
Cook 38 mins
When the weather turns to Autumn,my thoughts turn to soup.This is a light soup,good as a first course at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner,or a light meal with biscuits and salad.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 3⁄4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (I use fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper
- chopped rosemary (for garnish)
- In dutch oven over medium high heat,combine chicken broth,sweet potatoes,carrots and 2 tsp.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low,cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In medium skillet,combine butter,onion and garlic over medium heat.
- Stirring constantly,cook 8 minutes or until onions are translucent,transfer to large food processor.
- Reserving liquid,transfer sweet potato mixture to food processor,process until smooth.
- Stir pureed mixture into liquid.
- Stir in orange juice,salt and peppers.
- Return to low heat,cook 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish each serving with fresh rosemary.
This is a wonderful recipe. I substituted apple juice for the orange juice and omitted the garlic and red peppers. I also used water instead of the broth and it was still fabulous!
Very good! This is the perfect food - low cal, low fat and low carb. I'm also on a prescribed low protein diet and this fits right in. We didn't puree the carrots - the soup would have been like baby food if we had. It's a bit on the spicy side, so if you don't like your food hot, cut back a little on the white pepper. The serving size is 1 cup if the recipe is to make 6 servings. However, the stated serving size is 309g which is 1 1/3 cups - important to know for those with type 1 diabetes.
Excellent. This will definitely be on the list of my family's favorite winter soups. Thanks for the recipe!