1/1 Photo of Rosemary Soda Bread With Edamame and Pea Hummus
1 hr 30 mins
The bread is delightfully rustic with the fresh clean tasting hummus! Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate....it all comes together fairly quickly. When I have a long list of ingreds...I assemble all beforehand. I found that one package of edamame (500g) in the shells...give the 1 1/2 cups of beans. Bread is deliciously crumbly. Slice and serve warm with hummus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (100%)
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup natural bran
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg white, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups edamame beans, thawed and shelled
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1To make bread:
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in centre of oven.
- 3Heat oil until warmed.
- 4Combine flour, wheat germ, oats, bran, sugar, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in large bowl. Stir to blend.
- 5Combine buttermilk and warm oil and pour over flour mixture in bowl.
- 6Stir with spatula just until flour mixture is moistened; it will appear quite dry.
- 7Transfer dough to a floured surface and gently knead until dough comes together, about 7 turns. DO NOT OVERMIX or bread will become tough during baking.
- 8Divide dough in half and form each into a 6" oval loaf.
- 9Place on ungreased baking sheet, leaving about a 5" space in between.
- 10Brush with egg white and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- 11Bake for about 45 minutes -- until it is golden and hollow when tapped.
- 12Cool 30 minutes on rack.
- 14Place edamame beans in food processor or blender fitted with a metal blade.
- 15Add remaining ingredients and pulse on and off, occasionally scraping down sides of the bowl until mixture is as smooth as you like. Add a wee more oil and more salt to taste, if you wish. (I find you don't need to do that).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosemary Soda Bread With Edamame and Pea Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.0
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 547.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: