Recipe by Olha
Soft flat bread topped with rosemary oil and sprinkled with coarse sea salt. Add pepper on top if you like.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (1 Tablespoon)
- 1 2⁄3 cups lukewarm water (105 to 115 F)
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE TOPPING
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together 1 2/3 cups lukewarm water and yeast in bowl of mixer and let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes. Add 5 cups flour, 1/4 cup oil, and 2 1/2 teaspoons table salt and beat with paddle attachment at medium speed until a dough forms or use a wooden spoon if you don’t have this equipment. Replace paddle with dough hook and knead dough at high speed until soft, smooth, and sticky, 3 to 4 minutes. Or use a wooden spoon or your hand to mix. Mix at least 8 minutes by hand.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in 1 to 2 tablespoons more flour. Knead dough 1 minutes (it will still be slightly sticky), then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and turn dough to coat with oil. Let rise, covered with plastic wrap, at warm room temperature, until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Press dough evenly into a generously oiled 15 by 10 by 1 inch baking pan. Let dough rise, covered completely with a kitchen towel, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Stir together rosemary and 3 Tablespoons oil. Make shallow indentations all over dough with your fingertips, then brush with rosemary oil, letting it pool in indentations. Sprinkle sea salt evenly over focaccia and bake in middle of oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Immediately invert a rack over pan and flip focaccia onto rack.
- Favorite Recipes Phoenix Place.