Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Inspired after cooking up Evie's "Potato,Feta and Parsley Cakes" (#17152), I decided to play around with the potato-cake idea and came up with this recipe. This is a tasty and nutritious vegetarian entree. Try it with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and add a crisp green salad on the side. *Cook time includes time needed to cool potato mixture.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely ground
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Steam potatoes for 15 minutes and set them aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger; cook 7-10 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add rosemary, salt and pepper to skillet, then remove from heat and cool.
- In food processor or blender, combine potatoes, onion mixture, peas, egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Pulse until blended.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add nuts and 1/2 of bread crumb.
- Mix well.
- Mixture should be firm and hold shape when scooped and molded.
- If it doesn't, adjust with remaining water and bread crumbs until desired texture is reached.
- Shape into 3 inch patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Fry, grill or broil patties until browned on both sides; about 4 minutes per side over medium high heat.