Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My husband's MUST HAVE weekly shabbat dish.
- 2 sweet potatoes (or yams)
- 2 potatoes
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 6 -10 tablespoons honey
- 6 -10 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel potatoes (or don't, as per your tastes).
- Slice potatoes into round "medallions" by simply slicing widthwise.
- Chop or thinly slice garlic (as per your style).
- Slice rosemary sprigs in half or in 4ths.
- Grease casserole dish with olive oil.
- Make a layer of medallions on the bottom, alternating colors (or not -- see, it's EASY!).
- Season the visible side with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with garlic.
- Drizzle with honey and olive oil (2 tablespoons or so of each so that there is a gentle drizzle on each potato).
- Place a few sprigs of garlic randomly over the potatoes.
- Put the next layer of potatoes over the first and repeat until you are out of potatoes.
- Place uncovered in oven at a high temp -- perhaps 200°C and cook for a long time, stirring occasionally OR covering with tin foil and NOT stirring occasionally, or at all.
- Potatoes are done when you can stick a fork through them. I like them VERY done (this involves stirring and being generous with the oil) so that they are falling apart and MELTING in the mouth.
Awful!! We had to throw this out. I did use carrots instead of potatoes, and fresh spearmint instead of the rosemary, but otherwise followed the directions to a 'T'. We will not make this again. Try a little better, food snob, this recipe was a loser. Note 30-May-2008.. reason I posted this was because this food snob has repeatedly altered recipes way-over-the-top to where her changes were no way similar to the recipe she was attempting to make, and then posted bad reviews.. Check out her reviews.. talk about RUDE! What goes around, comes around..
I've had rosemary potatoes, made similarly, and they are great. Steve in FL, you've got to know that there's a BIG difference in using spearmint instead of rosemary, and carrots are MUCH sweeter than potatoes. Made with your substitutions, I'm not surprised that you threw your meal out. This recipe deserves another try with correct ingredients.
Made no changes, but find this recipe too sweet and 'oily' even with the smaller amount of oil requested in recipe. Too much oil negates the health value of the sweet potatoes as well. Like the flavor of rosemary though.