Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
I absolutely love fruit butters, and the fresh rosemary makes this one especially delectable
- 4 lbs ripened pears
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup honey (local, wildflower)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 drop fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Peel & chop pears, placing in water so they don't dry out.
- Drain well and place in a large, heavy Dutch oven. Add cider so that it just covers fruit. Place cinnamon stick pieces beneath surface of cider. Simmer 30 minutes until tender.
- Preheat oven 300°F Remove cinnamon & set aside.
- Puree pears with liquid in blender or food processor until as smooth.
- Transfer pureed pears to large, heavy baking dish.
- Mix in honey, rosemary, & cinnamon.
- Bake 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, till sauce is thickened, bubbling, and dark brown around edges.
- Add single drop of lemon juice (any more would be overpowering).
- Cool completely.
- For Canning: Reheat until simmering & ladle into hot sterilized jars. Process according to standard canning methods.
- For Freezing: Divide cooled mixture into plastic containers & refrigerate or freeze.