Prep 18 mins
Cook 15 mins
A buttery-rich scone is nothing more than a glorified biscuit—made even more delicious with our sweet and savory twists. Featured on Southern Living's facebook page, Easy, Irresistible Scones -- originally from Southern Living, December 2010.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup heavy cream (divided)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh pear (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream, pear, cheese, and rosemary, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto wax paper; gently press or pat dough into a 7-inch round (mixture will be crumbly). Cut round into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 tablespoons cream just until moistened.
- Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.