Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
New York is full of fine restraunts and lots of good food! This dish is simple but loaded with good taste which I tried to duplicate to some success. I find it quick and easy and a change from the usual chicken dishes. I hope you will like it too.
- 4 lbs frying chickens, cut (8 pieces)
- flour (for dusting)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 16 small white onions (whole)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (finely chopped)
- Cut up chicken into 8 pieces (cutting on parchment paper on top of your cutting board will prevent contamination to the board. Also, it will be easy clean up).
- To cut up chicken, begin removing one leg by cutting into the hip joint.
- Separate thigh and leg on each side.
- Remove the entire breast, leave the wing on (just remove the end tips) the breast.
- Keep the breast bone in to prevent shrinkage but, remove the ribs before cuting into 4 pieces.
- Keep the backbone for a stock.
- Don't use in this recipe.
- In a small bowl, add flour, salt and pepper and lightly coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture.
- IN A DUTCH OVEN OR HEAVY SAUCEPAN, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat and brown the coated chicken evenly on all sides; remove from pan; set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tablespoon from saucepan and return to the stovetop heat.
- Add whole onions, and sprinkle with sugar (this will facilitate carmelizing).
- Cook for 5 minutes or until carmelization begins (onions will begin to brown).
- Add chopped onion to saucepan and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add orange juice, orange rind, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary to the saucepan (deglazing the brown bits from the chicken and onion).
- Return browned chicken to the saucepan and Continue to cook covered about 20- 25 minutes or until onions are fork tender and sauce has slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- Plate chicken and onions and pour on the sauce.
- Serve with rice.