New York is full of fine restraunts and lots of good food! This dish is simple but loaded with good taste which I tried to duplicate to some success. I find it quick and easy and a change from the usual chicken dishes. I hope you will like it too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs frying chickens, cut (8 pieces)
- flour (for dusting)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 orange, zest of
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 16 small white onions (whole)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (finely chopped)
- 1Cut up chicken into 8 pieces (cutting on parchment paper on top of your cutting board will prevent contamination to the board. Also, it will be easy clean up).
- 2To cut up chicken, begin removing one leg by cutting into the hip joint.
- 3Separate thigh and leg on each side.
- 4Remove the entire breast, leave the wing on (just remove the end tips) the breast.
- 5Keep the breast bone in to prevent shrinkage but, remove the ribs before cuting into 4 pieces.
- 6Keep the backbone for a stock.
- 7Don't use in this recipe.
- 8In a small bowl, add flour, salt and pepper and lightly coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture.
- 9IN A DUTCH OVEN OR HEAVY SAUCEPAN, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat and brown the coated chicken evenly on all sides; remove from pan; set aside.
- 10Drain all but 1 Tablespoon from saucepan and return to the stovetop heat.
- 11Add whole onions, and sprinkle with sugar (this will facilitate carmelizing).
- 12Cook for 5 minutes or until carmelization begins (onions will begin to brown).
- 13Add chopped onion to saucepan and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- 14Add orange juice, orange rind, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary to the saucepan (deglazing the brown bits from the chicken and onion).
- 15Return browned chicken to the saucepan and Continue to cook covered about 20- 25 minutes or until onions are fork tender and sauce has slightly thickened.
- 16Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- 17Plate chicken and onions and pour on the sauce.
- 18Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosemary Orange Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (840 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1300.9
- Calories from Fat 789
- Total Fat 87.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 364.4 mg
- Sodium 971.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 88.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of