Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
New York is full of fine restraunts and lots of good food! This dish is simple but loaded with good taste which I tried to duplicate to some success. I find it quick and easy and a change from the usual chicken dishes. I hope you will like it too.
- 4 lbs frying chickens, cut (8 pieces)
- flour (for dusting)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 16 small white onions (whole)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (finely chopped)
- Cut up chicken into 8 pieces (cutting on parchment paper on top of your cutting board will prevent contamination to the board. Also, it will be easy clean up).
- To cut up chicken, begin removing one leg by cutting into the hip joint.
- Separate thigh and leg on each side.
- Remove the entire breast, leave the wing on (just remove the end tips) the breast.
- Keep the breast bone in to prevent shrinkage but, remove the ribs before cuting into 4 pieces.
- Keep the backbone for a stock.
- Don't use in this recipe.
- In a small bowl, add flour, salt and pepper and lightly coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture.
- IN A DUTCH OVEN OR HEAVY SAUCEPAN, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat and brown the coated chicken evenly on all sides; remove from pan; set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tablespoon from saucepan and return to the stovetop heat.
- Add whole onions, and sprinkle with sugar (this will facilitate carmelizing).
- Cook for 5 minutes or until carmelization begins (onions will begin to brown).
- Add chopped onion to saucepan and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add orange juice, orange rind, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary to the saucepan (deglazing the brown bits from the chicken and onion).
- Return browned chicken to the saucepan and Continue to cook covered about 20- 25 minutes or until onions are fork tender and sauce has slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- Plate chicken and onions and pour on the sauce.
- Serve with rice.