Recipe by Dragonfly AZ
Recipe from Rachel Rays magazine. Tastes best when made in a cast iron Dutch oven.
- 6 lbs beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle dry red wine (like pinot noir)
- 1 lb small onion, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons grainy horseradish mustard
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In large Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Add half the ribs to the Dutch oven and brown on all sides. Remove ribs to a bowl and brown the other half of the meat. Add them to the bowl and cover with foil.
- Add remaining olive oil to Dutch oven and heat. Stir in whole onions, chopped rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Spoon onions and seasonings into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Increase heat to high and pour wine into dutch oven. Let boil until reduced by about half, about 10 minutes.
- Return ribs and any juices to Dutch oven. Cover and place in oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add onions to dutch oven, cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and transfer onions and ribs to a bowl.
- Let cooking liquid stand for a few minutes to allow fat to rise to the top. Skim fat and discard. Bring liquid to a boil and whisk in the mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and return ribs and onions to Dutch oven. Cover and lower heat to medium and simmer until tomatoes are tender, about 10 minutes more.