Barb Gertz's Note:
Whether you're an herb gardener or just love cooking with herbs, here's a tasty bread that's sure to highlight any meal. Focaccia, one of Italy's oldest breads, has recently become popular in this country. This makes a wonderful base for pizza, a delicious addition to a bread basket or a first-course appetizer. If you need a homemade hostess gift, consider sharing the bread along with the recipe. NOTE: I use my kitchen aid mixer to mix the focaccia. Time for rising not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour (I use bread flour)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup hot water (120 to 130 degrees)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- additional fresh coarse ground black pepper
- additional dried rosemary
- 1In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, salt and pepper.
- 2Stir in hot water and 2 tablespoons olive oil; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 3 minutes.
- 3Add olives and remaining rosemary; knead for 1 minute.
- 4Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top; cover and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.
- 5Punch down; divide dough in half, cover and let rise 5 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle cornmeal on greased baking sheets.
- 7Roll each piece of dough into a 10-inch circle; place on baking sheets; cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 8Press the handle of a wooden spoon into top of loaves 1/4-inch-deep indentations.
- 9Brush loaves with remaining olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, pepper and rosemary.
- 10Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown, serve warm.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosemary Olive Focaccia
Serving Size: 1 (752 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1016.8
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.4 mg
- Sodium 1155.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 154.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 23.5 g