Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Love the heavenly smell! Oatmeal makes this a nice tender meatloaf.
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup water, milk or 3⁄4 cup broth
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly with a fork.
- Add water and oatmeal and let stand until liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes) Stir in remaining ingredients, except meat; mix well.
- Add meat, using your hands or a sturdy spoon and mix until well blended.
- Shape into a loaf in your baking pan.
- Make an indentation (trough) down center of loaf and fill with ketchup.
- Bake for 1 hour or until loaf is done (should not be pink in the middle).
- Remove from oven and cover with foil--let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving and it will cut nicely.
I was completely impressed with this recipe. As a general rule I don’t like meatloaf at all. My objections to any recipes I have tried in the past are these…touch, greasy and tasteless. So when I stumbled across this recipe that was not remotely greasy, very tender and wonderfully flavourful I know that it will become a family staple. I chose to use milk (one of the liquid options) but think I may try the broth the next time due to the fact that the colour of the loaf was a little pale. Again that may be due to the way I cooked it. Thank you for your recipe. I hope others will try it.
I have made this several times now and I wish I could give it more than 5 stars asit's the best meatloaf I've ever had. I add a little extra oats and some ketchup to the actual mix. I'm having it again for dinner tonight with turkey. Will let you know how it works out! EDIT: It's better with beef, but it's not bad with the turkey, it just needs different spices. I bet if you made it with your usual turkey seasonings and topped it with cranberry sauce instead of ketchup it would be delicious. I will probably try that soon as the oats really make it moist.
This is definitely a 5 star recipe!!! I loved it, and I normally don't like meatloaf! My husband loved it too, and we ate the leftovers on sandwiches the next day! The only change I made was topping the meatloaf with an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce instead of ketchup, because I was just about out of ketchup. It was very good with tomato sauce, but I'm sure it would be great with ketchup too! This recipe is a keeper, I will definitely be making this one again!