Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A savory herbed vegan lentil-vegetable soup. If you include the jalapeno pepper, it has a nice spicy kick - Leave it out if you want a milder soup. Great for cold winter days.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 22.18 ml fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 473.18 ml dry green lentils
- 1656.13 ml water
- 3 gluten-free vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 4 bay leaves
- 9.85 ml ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 473.18 ml frozen spinach or 709.77 ml shredded fresh spinach
- salt, to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely (including seeds) (optional)
- Heat oil over medium-high flame in large pot.
- When the oil is heated, add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and rosemary, and cook until they fragrance the oil (1-2 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients, except for spinach.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
I made this and my husband and I both loved it. It was enough for 2 dinners and 2 lunches each.