Recipe by What's Cooking?
A savory herbed vegan lentil-vegetable soup. If you include the jalapeno pepper, it has a nice spicy kick - Leave it out if you want a milder soup. Great for cold winter days.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 2 cups dry green lentils
- 7 cups water
- 3 gluten-free vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups frozen spinach or 3 cups shredded fresh spinach
- salt, to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely (including seeds) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium-high flame in large pot.
- When the oil is heated, add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and rosemary, and cook until they fragrance the oil (1-2 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients, except for spinach.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.