1/4 Photos of Rosemary Lemon Twin Roast Chickens for the Grill
1 hr 7 mins
I've been without an oven for a year and a half and I'm getting pretty good at roasting meats in the propane grill. Try something different for your next cookout or camping trip by roasting a pair of chickens this simple way. It takes less attention than grilling and you don't get any grease flares. This will work best on a grill that has 3 burners running front to back so that you can turn on the side burners and leave the center unlit. Note: Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Early in the day unwrap chickens, remove giblets, and singe any pinfeathers.
- 2Place the chickens into a roasting pan (an 11x13 baking pan works well), nested together in opposite directions.
- 3Cut the lemons in half. Squeeze the juice all over the chickens, reserving the empty shells as you finish with them.
- 4Put half a lemon into each chicken's cavity.
- 5Twist each garlic clove a bit to crack it and release the flavor and put one into each chicken cavity. Put the other lemon halves into the cavities.
- 6Sprinkle the chickens with the dried rosemary. Refrigerate several hours to let the flavors permeate the meat.
- 7Turn on the grill's two end burners leaving the center burner unlit. Set the chicken pan in the center and close the lid.
- 8Adjust the flame so that the thermometer on the lid reaches and holds about 325-350.
- 9Let chickens cook for about about an hour, checking occasionally. Very carefully use a pair of tongs to lift each chicken and turn it around so that the legs that were toward the center are now towards the outside.
- 10Roast another 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is just barely cooked. Timing may vary due to individual grills' characteristics.
- 11Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving so that the juices can settle.
- 12This makes very good cold chicken for sandwiches or chicken salad so don't hesitate to make the second chicken.
- 13Note: You could do this on a charcoal grill that has a lid but you will need a second grill to provide fresh coals and you will have to manage the coals carefully.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosemary Lemon Twin Roast Chickens for the Grill
Serving Size: 1 (1882 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1927.4
- Calories from Fat 1258
- Total Fat 139.7 g
- Saturated Fat 39.9 g
- Cholesterol 641.6 mg
- Sodium 601.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 152.1 g