Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another recipe that uses fresh rosemary.
- 1 large egg white
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml grated lemon zest
- 4.92 ml salt
- 453.59 g unsalted nuts use walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 14.79 ml minced fresh rosemary
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- COAT NUTS Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Whisk egg white, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt in large bowl. Add nuts and toss to coat. Drain in colander thoroughly, 4 to 5 minutes.
- SEASON NUTS Mix brown sugar, minced rosemary, and red pepper flakes in large bowl. Add drained nuts and toss to coat. Spread nuts evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake until dry and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking time. Cool completely. Break nuts apart and serve. (Nuts can be stored in airtight container for 3 weeks.).
Very tasty ~ like a spicy brittle! The nuts were a big hit at our family Easter function. I used all almonds and kicked up the heat a bit by adding 1/8th teaspoon cayenne, in addition to the red pepper flakes. I did NOT drain away the lemon juice/egg white mixture ~ I felt the dry mixture would not stick to the almonds if I drained them for 5 minutes! I checked the almonds after baking for 30 minutes and the almonds were not crisp ~ I baked them for a total of 45 minutes, but next time I will take them out at 42 minutes, so they won't be quite so dark. Made for one of my Spring PAC 2010 adopted Chefs, and for Rosemary, Herb/Spice for April 2010 in the French forum.