Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Baking tofu is a wonderful way for it to soak up all the delicious flavor in your marinade. In this recipe, the tofu has a bright, lemony flavor. If you have the time, let the tofu sit for an hour or so in the marinade before baking. However, if you are short on time, this step is not necessary. For those new to tofu, the block of tofu should be pressed between two plates, to remove any excess moisture from its packaging. Use a cast iron pan or heavy book. Baked tofu tastes even better the next day!
- 16 ounces firm tofu, pressed for 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the tofu to to bottom into 6 slices.
- Use a baking dish that wil hold your tofu slices in one single layer.
- In the dish, wisk together the ingredients for the marinade.
- Add tofu slices and turn to coat on both sides.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time. The longer it baked, the chewier it will become.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes.
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FABULOUS! Used to feed a work crew of vegetarians - slapped these babies into toasty crisped bolillos with aioli and lettuce, cukes, onions and tomatoes from the garden. They were WOLVED down! Made a double batch and not a bit of one was left. KEEPER recipe (so much so I am stashing elsewhere for safe keeping). TYTYY
I made this twice in one week. I had left over rosemary and wanted to use it up... and man oh man - loved this! & so did the boyfriend! The first time I made it i didn't measure out my lemon zest so it was a tad lemon-y but nonetheless: great! I used tofu from Trader Joes (not sure if that makes any difference at all, but...) one thing that my boyfriend raved about was how great the texture was. I normally pan fry it, so this was a great change (and easy!). This is definitely a great way to make tofu!
This was excellent. It was light, fresh, delicious. Exactly what I was hoping it would be. I added a little bit of honey, chopped garlic and scallions to the marinade and served it with lemon parmesan asparagus. perfect!