Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
This is a delicious Italian flavored bread. Leave out the rosemary and the dough is still delicious. I first made this when I was nine. It's a great recipe for beginners!
Top Review by CJAY
I made this as written. We liked the rosemary flavor and the texture was a little different but still good. I really liked how easy this was to make and how nice it looked after baking. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water (warm)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour until dough forms.
- Knead dough until smooth.
- Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Shape dough into a round loaf.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut an X shape 1/2 inch deep into the top of the bread.
- Brush olive oil onto bread.
- Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with olive oil.