Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
This is a delicious Italian flavored bread. Leave out the rosemary and the dough is still delicious. I first made this when I was nine. It's a great recipe for beginners!
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water (warm)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour until dough forms.
- Knead dough until smooth.
- Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Shape dough into a round loaf.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut an X shape 1/2 inch deep into the top of the bread.
- Brush olive oil onto bread.
- Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with olive oil.
I made this as written. We liked the rosemary flavor and the texture was a little different but still good. I really liked how easy this was to make and how nice it looked after baking. Thanks for sharing.
This is a very easy bread to make..I didnt really care for the texture,the baking powder makes it more like a baking powder biscuit like texture..The 3/4 tblsp dried rosemary, gave it a nice flavor.. I did not give it a star rating as I did not dislike or like....
This is very easy to make and has a wonderful texture (almost like a quick bread with a crust). Would go well with soup or stew. Made for Fall 2007 PAC.