Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy to make and the flavour can't be beat. Enjoy with your next Italian-inspired meal, and not just. Prep time does not include rising time.
- Dissolve sugar in warm water in large bowl; sprinkle in yeast; let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Stir in oil, salt, and 3 cups flour; beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic; if necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl; turn out onto floured board; gather up into a ball.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary until smooth and no longer sticky (8-10 minutes); place in lightly greased bowl; turn dough to grease top; cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel; let rise in warm place until doubled (approximately 45-60 minutes); punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured board; let rest for 10 minutes; roll out dough to 16" x 8" rectangle; combine topping ingredients; spread mixture evenly over surface; cut dough into 16, 1-inch strips; pick up each strip by ends and twist in opposing directions; place on greased baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425F and set rack in middle of oven.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until golden.
very nice, I used brown sugar instead of white sugar, gives the dough a bit more of a sweet taste. also instead of 1 tbs garlic because my husband isnt a huge fan I just used one clove and a dash of Mrs dash garlic plus seasoning. Very good, will make it again
These were fantastic! The best bread sticks I've ever made and I can't wait to make them again. Great recipe! Thank you! Cathy :)
These were very good and smelled delicious while they were baking. I somehow missed out the topping part so I am sure they would be even better if I had done that. I will make these again.