Recipe by Kim D.
Nothing is better than smelling fresh rosemary and fresh baking bread! This has been a favorite of mine for several years now. Prep-time includes rising time.
Top Review by Lizzie-Babette
This is now my favorite, "go to" recipe for focaccia! I made it as directed, with two exceptions: I did not have bread flour, so used regular, all-purpose flour, and also sprinkled a mix of Italian herbs into the flour before mixing. The directions and rising/cooking time were perfect. I did, however, cook the loaves separately; one on a baking stone and one on a baking sheet. The loaf on the baking stone came out the best - crustier and a nicer golden brown. The bread was absolutely delicious and looked wonderful. I'll be using this recipe a LOT - it really doesn't take very long to make, and the taste is scrumptious. Definite winner, Kim!
- 1301.24 ml unsifted bread flour (all-purpose flour can be used with good results)
- 7.08 g package fast rising yeast
- 29.58 ml fresh rosemary, divided
- 7.39 ml salt
- 473.18 ml warm water (120 F-130 F)
- 59.16 ml olive oil, divided
- 4.92 ml kosher salt or 4.92 ml sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, 1 tablespoon rosemary and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in water and 3 tablespoons olive oil; beat mixture vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Cover bowl with a clean towel and let dough rise in a warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in size (about 40 minutes).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead for one minute.
- Lightly oil two large baking sheets (I use baking stones).
- Divide dough in half, placing one half on each baking sheet.
- Press or roll out each to a 10-inch round.
- Cover rounds with clean towels and let rise until doubled in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With finger tips, make indentions all over surface of focaccia and brush each round with 1/2 tablespoon remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle rounds with remaining rosemary and sea salt.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cut in wedges and serve warm.