Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious way to use fresh dill and rosemary from the garden. We like these breadsticks with vegetable soup or chicken salad. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (Septermber 1986)
- Combine 2 cups flour with water and yeast in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add oil, 2 tablespoons of the egg mixture (egg beaten with 2 tablespoons of water--reserve remainder for glaze), rosemary and dill, stirring with wooden spoon until combined.
- Stir in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough is formed.
- Knead on a floured board until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed (8-10 minutes) and form into a large ball.
- Grease large bowl and add dough. Turn to coat all sides of dough. Cover with plastic wrap or towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease baking sheet.
- Divide dough in half (you now have two balls of dough).
- Roll ball into one 18-inch long rope. Cut into 14 pieces. (28 total pieces).
- Roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Twist two ropes together.
- Place each twisted rope (bread stick) on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough to make a total of 14 bread sticks.
- Brush with reserved egg mixture and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bread sticks are golden.
These are the best breadsticks ever - even better than what you get in the restaurants. Have one fresh from the oven, steaming hot, with the scent of dill and rosemary. Mmmmmm! To die for! Thanks Ellie!