Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This has to cure the common cold! Spinach and mushrooms with chicken and noodles. From Cooking Light with a few variations of my own.
- 4 cups wide cooked egg noodles, hot (3 1/2 cups uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) packagepreshredded carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepresliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine noodles, oil, and 1/2 tsp salt; toss well to coat.
- Combine water and next 5 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; add 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly. Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Add carrot and mushrooms to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until carrot is tender. Add shredded chicken, parsley, spinach, and remaining 1 teaspoons salt. Cook 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in noodles, lemon juice and pepper. Cook for an additional minute. Best made 1 day ahead.
I absolutely love this recipe! My husband likes this chicken soup the very best and so do I. Thanks so much for sharing it!--Jodi Marie