Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Warm autumn colors for a year-round soup! Something served at the White House- recipe from the Junior League of Washington.
- 2 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, optional
- Cut each butternut squash in half Peel, seed, and scoop out the fibers Coat inside with vegetable oil and place face-down on a baking sheet Roast at 375 for 25 minutes (until tender) Transfer both to a large pot (8 quarts) and add chicken broth, rosemary, and orange zest Bring to boil over medium-high heat Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes Transfer to a food processor or blender and process until smooth Season with salt and pepper Return to pot to keep warm or transfer to bowls (best served hot!) Combine sour cream and heavy cream in mixing bowl.
- Decoratively swirl a small amount of cream mixture into soups as a garnish.
- Or, garnish with rosemary sprigs.