Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Nothing compares to the aroma of fresh breadsticks before a meal or salad. For vatiety, try this recipe with dirrerent kinds of herbs. This recipe is from the Kosher Palette
- Stir together water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, whole wheat flour, rosemary, and salt in a food processor with a plastic dough blade and pulse for 5 seconds.
- Stir water and oil into yeast.
- With processor running, pour yeast mixture into the flour.
- Process until dough forms a ball, adding flour, 1 tbsp at a time if necessary.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch log. Cut each log into 1 inch pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. Fold rope in half, twist, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle breadsticks with cornmeal and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine egg white with pinch of salt.
- Brush mixture over breadsticks and sprinkle with salt, sesame seeds, or poppy seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to 350 and bake 5 minutes until golden brown.
The whole house smelled WONDERFUL! These came out great and were gobbled up! I used poppy seeds on top. Lovely recipe, thank you!