Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried and crushed rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add the cream.
- Bring to a boil,cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thicked.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the rosemry,garlic,salt, pepper and potatoes.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Sprikle with parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
I was definitely hoping for something more... I had a little trouble getting my potatoes to cook thoroughly and had to leave in for an extra 15 minutes. The creamy sauce would be good for something else, but there just wasn't enough flavor for me. I had to use minced garlic instead of cloves, and i doubled the amount of garlic but it was still bland. I think next time I will mix cheese in the sauce, and probably not Parmesan. I was suprised how little you could taste the parmesan. I would definitely try this recipe again but I will definitely have to give it a good tweaking. Really appreciated how creamy and smooth the mixture was tho.
I made this tonight. Since there were only the two of us, I basically cut the recipe in half and did it in an 8x8 glass baking dish. I used a Mandoline to slice the potatoes to about 1/8", perfect. I used a sharp English Cheddar instead of just parmesan, and added fresh rosemary from one of my rosemary bushes and fresh thyme and also grated in just a little nutmeg into the sauce before adding everything else. I topped it during the last fifteen minutes with freshly grated parmesan, and put the broiler on for the last seven minutes. Very delicious. Thanks for posting this. Easy and adaptable!
These were really good. I layered my potatoes with the cheese and then poured the sauce over it. I also feel it was missing something-so I thinkn I will try a different cheese next time. But this was still very yummy!