Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 22 mins
WOW sweet with rosemary!!! I can't wait to try this. I always have an abundance of rosemary in my yard. I found this in December 2013 Bon Appetit.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Toast caraway seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and salt until very light and fluffy. This will take about 7–10 minutes
- Reduce speed to low and add flour, caraway, and 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary; mix just to combine. Dough will look shaggy and a little dry (it’s not!).
- Press dough into two 8 inch diameter cake pans. Brush with egg, sprinkle with sanding sugar, and top with rosemary leaves.
- Bake until shortbread is golden brown and sides pull away from pan, about 20–25 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cool in pan before turning out and cutting into wedges or bars.
- DO AHEAD: Shortbread dough can be made 1 month ahead; wrap tightly and freeze. Shortbread can be baked 1 week ahead; store wrapped tightly at room temperature.