Prep 2 hrs
Cook 18 mins
Deliciously crunchy breadsticks are perfect for an appetizer or accompaniment to a Mediterranean dinner. Packed with the bright flavours of fresh rosemary and Kalamata olives, they can stand alone or pair beautifully with dips like baba ghanoush or hummus. Top them with fresh Parmesan for an extra gourmet twist!
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup kalamata olives in oil, pureed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh rosemary leaf
- In a large bowl (or a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook), combine all ingredients (in order).
- Knead to form an elastic dough (about 7-10 minutes).
- Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Deflate dough, knead briefly, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375F (350F convection) If your oven is not convection, place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll the rested dough out into a rectangle about 20x12”.
- Cut in half crosswise, then into ¼” strips lengthwise.
- Lightly roll each strip to round the edges and place on the parchment lined sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Bake (1 sheet at a time if not using convection) for 18 minutes, until crisp and golden. Keep unbaked sticks in the fridge during baking.
- Immediately transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.