Recipe by Sharon123
More than just delicious, this savory version of the traditionally sweet pull-apart bread also has a dramatic presentation! Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by Calee
I think this should get *TEN* stars its so easy to make and has tons of flavor. I used dried rosemary and 2 cloves of garlic and only 5 cups of the flour. For the crumb topping I was a bit nervous about the wheat germ and only added 1-1/2 tbsp and it seemed just right for us. Love the paprika. I did insert fresh rosemary (5) sprigs. Mine baked up nicely in 45 minutes. Made for the FLOUR challenge in the cooking photo forum. Thanks Sharon for a recipe that will be made and enjoyed many times again.
- 5 1⁄2 cups unsifted bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast
- 1 3⁄4 cups very warm water (120*to 130*)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer, combine 2 cups flour, the sugar, and yeast.
- Beat water into flour mixture until soft dough forms.
- Cover and set aside 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Crumb Topping (see below).
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart souffle dish (casserole dish).
- Place oil in small bowl.
- Add 3 cups remaining flour, the rosemary,garlic, and salt to the soft dough.
- Beat until smooth dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface.
- Knead dough, adding remining flour as necessary, until smooth and elastic-about 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces.
- Dip each dough piece into oil and roll into a ball.
- Dip each ball into Crumb Topping and place, crumb side up, in greased dish.
- Cover loosely with clean cloth and let rise in warm place until double in size- about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Tuck tiny rosemary sprigs between dough balls, if desired, and bake 55 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped on top.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from dish and cool completely.
- To serve, pull balls apart.
- Crumb Topping: In cup, combine 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 3 tbls.
- wheat germ, 1 tbls.
- rosemary leaves, and 1 teaspoons.