Recipe by English_Rose
The classic choice of herb to go with this super-simple combination of olive oil and balsamic vinegar is the beautifully fragrant rosemary. But fresh thyme and oregano are good alternatives. Can be used to prepare- 6 Lamb steaks or 4 Beef steaks or 4 Fish fillets or 8 Chicken thighs or drumsticks.
- 2 rosemary sprigs, broken into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, bashed so the skins are split
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
Directions See How It's Made
- The marinade- In a shallow, non-metallic dish, mix together all the ingredients except for the honey. (If you are using a vinegar that is not thick, first boil double the amount in a shallow pan for 3–5 minutes until syrupy and reduced, then cool.)
- Season the mixture and add the meat or fish. Rub well all over and cover. For meat, marinate for 2 hours in the fridge or overnight. Fish should be marinated for up to 30 minutes in the fridge; any longer and the acidic vinegar will start 'cooking' the fish.
- To cook Once the fish or meat has been placed on the grill or barbecue, mix the honey in with the excess marinade. Baste the food while cooking; the sugars in the honey will start to caramelise and allow the marinade to adhere to the food like a glaze.