The first recipe I found that called for rose water was from a Shaker cookbook. It was used as a substitute for vanilla as the recipe called for either or.
- 3 cups fresh rose petals (make sure there are NO pesticides used on rosebushes)
- 1 liter mineral water
- Put 3 large handfuls of petals into the clean pot.
- Pour the water over the rose petals.
- Cover the pot.
- Place it over low heat and let it simmer until half the water is left.
- Let it cool.
- Discard the petals and pour the liquid (rosewater) into the sterile bottle.
- Cap tightly and store in fridge.
My daughter and I had been wanting to try some of the cosmetic rose water recipes on Zaar. I decided to use my Valentine's roses to make the rose water ourselves. Fun project! Thanks for posting!
WOW!!! I am speechless!! I always use rose water for my gulab jamun syrups etc. but then I just found out that it contains 5.0% alcohol! well since we do not consume alcohol I had to immediately cross it off my list. You can't imagine how upset I was. But thanks so much for posting this recipe! I'll deffo be making it!
Thank you for posting this! I've seen soooo many tasty-sounding recipes calling for rose water, and I couldn't figure out where to buy it. Well, now I don't have to. Thanks again!