Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A traditional custard eaten in Saudi and neighbouring Gulf countries.
Make and share this Rose Water and Cardamom Custard recipe from Food.com.
- Mix custard powder with 1/2 cup of milk until smooth.
- Add 3.5 cups of milk, cardamom and sugar into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil on medium heat, stirring frequently as not to scorch.
- Remove milk from heat.
- Add in the custard powder slowly stirring all the time.
- Place milk back onto heat stir constantly until smooth and custard has thickened (+ - 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Add rose water stir well.
- Add whipping cream and mix well.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle with ground pistachios.
- Serve chilled.
Lovely! I would increase amount of rosewater next time to intensify the lovely flavour, and use the whole tsp of cardamom.
This was so good! I halved the recipe as I suspected my DH and DS may poo poo anything containing Rose Water. Ha! More for me! I used 1/4 tsp cardamom and 1/2 tbs of rose water as this was new to me as well. I had asked lemoncurd if the cream needed to be whipped prior to adding in (the answer was to add as a liquid, not whipped), but she mentioned that the consistency of this custard was medium and if I wanted a thicker custard I could add a little more custard powder. So I did, about 1 tbs more. The rose water was subtle, but noticeable and the cardamom was fantastic. It got even better with the addition of the ground pistachios. Lemoncurd, thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I can see why your DH loves the Rose Water/ Cardamom combination-DELISH! Nick's Mom
I had great hopes for this custard, but it didn't work out well for me. I suspect the brand of custard powder I used (Morinaga), was the culprit, so am not assigning stars. The custard never thickened properly, even after the addition of 2 additional tablespoons custard powder. I hoped that chilling would help, but the end product was only about as thick as dairy eggnog. It was quite sweet, too, also perhaps because of the custard powder. I do like the combination of cardamom and rose water, and may try this flavoring with custard made from scratch. Thank you for the idea.