Recipe by Dina Cohen
This tea cake is elegant and very simple to make. I used a basic pound cake recipe and added the rose petals, rose water and food coloring. The purist could use beet juice. This recipe makes quite a small cake but it certainly is enough considering how rich it is. You can reduce the amount of sugar in the cake to 1/2 cup and add a pink icing flavored with rose water.
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons dried rose petals, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 drop pink food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a small rectangle cake mold.
- Blend butter and sugar with your hands until fluffy. Then add flour little by little.
- Add rose petals, rose water, food coloring and eggs.
- Blend well until mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour dough into mold and bake for about 30 minutes or until edges start to be golden and tip of knife inserted comes out dry.