Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just picked my 2nd batch of rosehips and have posted this recipe here so I can find it next year! It's based on a recipe from overthegardengate.co.uk. This is gorgeous mixed with water for a drink, or as a sauce over ice-cream. You can bottle/can it, or turn it into ice-cubes and store in the freezer. Time shown doesn't include 'dripping' time!
- 2 lbs rose hips (just under 1kg)
- 1 lb sugar (454g)
- Crush the rosehips (I use a blender) and put into 3 UK pints (or 7.25 cups) of boiling water.
- Bring back to boil and then remove from the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes
- Strain through a jelly bag and when the dripping stops, return the 'mash' with another 1½ UK pints (or 3.6 cups) of boiling water.
- Re-boil and allow to stand as before, strain. Pour both extracts into a clean pan and boil until the liquid measures 1½ pints (3.6 cups).
- Add 1lb sugar.
- Stir over gentle heat until sugar dissolves, and then boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour into hot bottles, seal.