A subtle flavor treat whose secret ingredient is the almonds. From an old Family Circle pies and cakes cookbook. Cook time is chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces whole blanched almonds, ground (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter (if using margarine, not spread or tub product) or 2 tablespoons margarine (if using margarine, not spread or tub product)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (for crust)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup sugar (for filling)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup rose wine or 1/2 cup blush wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Blend almonds, butter and 3 Tablespoons sugar in a small bowl.
- 3Press evenly over the bottom and side of a very lightly buttered 9-inch pie plate.
- 4Bake for ten minutes or until lightly golden.
- 5Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 6Mix gelatin and 1/2 cup sugar in the top of a double boiler; beat in egg yolks until light and fluffy; blend in wine and water.
- 7Place over simmering water and cook, stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves and mixture coats a spoon; pour into a large bowl.
- 8Set bowl in a pan of ice water to speed setting.
- 9Chill at room temperature, stirring often just until as thick as an unbeaten egg white.
- 10While the gelatin chills, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with the cream of tartar until doubled in volume; beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time until meringue stands in firm peaks.
- 11Beat cream until stiff in a second bowl.
- 12Fold meringue and whipped cream gently into the thickened gelatin mixture until no streaks of white remain.
- 13Fold in about five drops of red food coloring to tint the mixture pink.
- 14Chill again if necessary until thick enough to mound when spooned into cooled crust.
- 15Chill for four hours or until firm.
- 16Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rose Chiffon Pie
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.7
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 154.1 mg
- Sodium 78.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: