Recipe by lynnski / LA
These popular muffins have been served at the Rose Cafe, in the Venice community of Los Angeles, Calif, since the cafe first opened in 1979. They are healthy as well as delicious. The bran used is wheat bran which can be purchased in bulk from Whole Foods Market and other health food stores.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
These are excellent bran muffins- There's a bit more bran to flour ratio than I am used to, but it turns out I like that. It makes for a chewier texture (not as cake-like). I was glad I had buttermilk on hand because I think it keeps the texture good, without being too brittle.My favorite ingred. in bran muffins is molasses so I knew I'd like the flavor. I did think they were a bit faster to stir together than other recipes, too. Thanks Lynn, for posting. Roxygirl
- 1 1⁄4 cups wheat bran
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 dashes salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine bran, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda in a 1 1/2 quart bowl, and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk,oil, honey and molasses. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Add optional ingredients, if using.
- Pour batter into 9 buttered muffin cups, and bake at 350 degrees for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wood pick inserted in center comes out clean.