Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These popular muffins have been served at the Rose Cafe, in the Venice community of Los Angeles, Calif, since the cafe first opened in 1979. They are healthy as well as delicious. The bran used is wheat bran which can be purchased in bulk from Whole Foods Market and other health food stores.
- 1 1⁄4 cups wheat bran
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 dashes salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine bran, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda in a 1 1/2 quart bowl, and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk,oil, honey and molasses. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Add optional ingredients, if using.
- Pour batter into 9 buttered muffin cups, and bake at 350 degrees for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wood pick inserted in center comes out clean.
These are excellent bran muffins- There's a bit more bran to flour ratio than I am used to, but it turns out I like that. It makes for a chewier texture (not as cake-like). I was glad I had buttermilk on hand because I think it keeps the texture good, without being too brittle.My favorite ingred. in bran muffins is molasses so I knew I'd like the flavor. I did think they were a bit faster to stir together than other recipes, too. Thanks Lynn, for posting. Roxygirl
It is so good! I did exactly as the recipe stated and I go 24 mini muffins (17 minutes). The raisins and the nuts (pecans) just added to the muffin, also, I loved the flavor of molasses. By the way, my batter was not thin at all, nice and thick.
I had to try these -- I'm in Boston, it's snowing outside, and I'm so homesick for L.A. I can't stand it! I loved the Rose Cafe, and spent many an hour there in the early 1980s. These muffins didn't disappoint. I was very skeptical that they'd turn out OK; the batter was very thin. But the flavor and texture turned out great. I made 'em as mini-muffins and am very pleased with them. Thanks for reminding me about the Rose Cafe, and thanks for a great muffin recipe!