Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From a St. Patrick's day show on Foodnetwork. Can be made in a 9x2" cake pan or a oven-proof saute pan.
- 11 cups rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- egg wash
- granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Trim the rhubarb and cut into 1" pieces. Put in the 9x2" pan or a saute pan, sprinkle with 1 C sugar. You can put the saute pan on low to start cooking the rhubarb while making the dough.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and rub into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Whisk the eggs with the milk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the liquid all at once and mix to a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto a floured board and roll into a 9" round about 1" thick. Place this round on top of the rhubarb and tuck in the edges neatly. Brush with a little egg wash and sprinkle with more granulated sugar.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes then, reduce the temperature to 350 for another 30 minutes, or until the top is crusty and golden and the rhubarb soft and juicy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes. Put a warm plate over the top of the saute pan and turn upside down onto the plate. Serve warm with more brown sugar and whipped cream.