1/4 Photos of Roscas (Turkish Coffee Cake Rings With Cloves)
4 hrs 40 mins
Susiecat too's Note:
From Istanbul originally, this recipe appears in "A Blessing of Bread" by Maggie Glezer. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. The 4-hr time indicated is really from start to finish. There is probably about 30-45 minutes of active work during that time, depending on how quick you are.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium bowl, whisk together the yeast, 3/4 cup of the flour and the cloves, then whisk in the water until smooth. Let stand uncovered for 10-20 minutes, until it begins to ferment. It may not puff up at all.
- 2Whisk the salt, oil, and sugar into the yeast slurry until smooth and the salt and sugar have dissolved. Stir in the remaining flour all at once.
- 3When the mix is a shaggy mess, turn it out onto a work surface and knead until fairly smooth, soft, and just a bit sticky.
- 4Put it in a warm, clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until at least doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- 5Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or oil it.
- 6Divide dough in half. Roll one piece into a rectangle, then roll it up along the long side, evening it and lengthening it until it is about 24 inches long and 1 inch thick.
- 7Bring the ends together to form a ring, and pinch them together. Transfer to prepared sheet.
- 8Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- 9Cover the rings with plastic wrap and leave to rise until tripled in size, about 45-60 minutes.
- 10Put an oven rack in the upper third position, and preheat to 400°F.
- 11Beat the egg with a pinch of salt, and glaze the rings. Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- 12Slash the rings in a sunburst pattern, about 1/2 inch deep and about 2 inches apart to mark off serving sections.
- 13Bake 25-35 minutes, or until very brown. Rotate the pan about 20 minutes into baking.
- 14Cool rings on a rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roscas (Turkish Coffee Cake Rings With Cloves)
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 76.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 1.5 g