1/1 Photo of Rosca De Reyes - Three Kings Cake
1 hr 10 mins
The Day of Kings (el Dia de Tres Reyes), or Epiphany, is celebrated on January 6 to commemorate the day the magi arrived bearing gifts for the infant Jesus. The Day of the Kings is observed by Latin cultures with the making and eating of a rosca de reyes, a sweet bread on the order of Louisiana's King cake, with a hidden tiny plastic baby (or a dried bean), representing the baby Jesus, inside. If you get the slice with the "baby", you will have good luck all year. Traditionally served with delicious Mexican hot chocolate. From the El Charro Cafe in Tucson, Arizona.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 16 ounces butter (if using margarine, NOT tub or spread product) or 16 ounces margarine (if using margarine, NOT tub or spread product)
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In large mixing bowl, cream together butter or margarine and powdered sugar.
- 3Add eggs and beat again, until light and fluffy.
- 4Combine dry ingredients, expect chopped nuts.
- 5Gradually add dry ingredients and vanilla to creamed mixture.
- 6Sprinkle nuts on bottom of lightly greased 9x5x4-inch loaf pan.
- 7Pour batter into pan.
- 8Bake at 350°F for 55 minutes, or until pick comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch.
- 9Cool 10 minutes; turn cake onto wire rack to cool.
- 10Insert dry bean or"baby" from the underside of the cake when cool.
- 11During the last minutes cake is cooking, melt brown sugar in heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 12Remove from heat and add ground anise and vanilla extract.
- 13Pour warm syrup over freshly baked, cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosca De Reyes - Three Kings Cake
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 824.8
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 187.0 mg
- Sodium 276.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 72.9 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: