Chef Johnsonville's Note:
I found this on the Rosarita Vegetarian Refried Beans can that was destined for boring burritos. I love Chile Rellenos at Mexican restaurants. While I've never duplicated Chile Rellenos at home, I have tried the casserole version. Let's just say that they were less than stellar and took more work than I wanted do. I added a layer of chopped onions about 1/4 of a large onion since it was prepared for the burrito, plus a layer of salsa verde (medium heat) since my husband loves the heat. Although the ingredients call for Pepper Jack, I prefer Monterey Jack. This makes a great meatless meal in barely any time.
My Private Note
8 x 8 ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Spray 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff peaks form.
- 4Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl; fold into egg whites.
- 5Add Flour into eggs until just combined.
- 6Fold in green chilies.
- 7Spread beans over bottom of dish.
- 8Layer chopped onions over beans and make sure to get sides.
- 9Spread layer of salsa verde, smoothing into the sides. OR.
- 10Mix all the beans, onions and salsa verde together.
- 11Top with half of the egg mixture, spreading evenly.
- 12Sprinkle with half of the cheese, then remaining egg mixture and remaining cheese.
- 13Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosarita Vegetarian Chile (Chile) Relleno Bake
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.0
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 208.9 mg
- Sodium 1056.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 19.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian refried beans