Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There's nothing like homemade chicken soup! Great comfort food.
- 473.18 ml chicken, cooked and cubed, save 2 cups liquid off of chicken
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced
- 59.14 ml celery, chopped
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 3 (893.00 g) can chicken broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 354.88 ml flour
- 118.29 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- In a large kettle, combine 1 cup water, water off of chicken, onion, celery and carrots.
- Bring to a soft boil and cook until carrots are tender.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper and broth. Simmer on low. Start making spaetzle.
- In a separate saucepan combine 4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, flour, 1/2 cup water salt and baking powder. Beat well.
- Drop small teaspoons of batter into boiling water, cook until spaetzle floats on top of water.
- Scoop spaetzle out with a slotted spoon and add to soup.
- Simmer soup on low for 30 minutes (or more) to flavor through.
So yummy! I considered making noodles from scratch, but I was raised German...and spaetzle is easier and tastier! I made this as my very first attempt at soup last year and I'm making it again this year. This recipe also segued into making a years worth of chicken stock. Never going back to store-bought again! Thanks for the terrific recipe!
Really great soup - although my technique for making spaetzle needs help! I grew up eating spaetzle as a child and it was one of my favorite things my mother used to make - guess I'll need to get lessons from her! Will definitely make this soup again.