1/6 Photos of Rosalita's Arepas Con Queso
From the wonderful cookbook In Nirmala's Kitchen. Arepas can be sweet or savory. This recipe is a little of both.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over high heat. (Watch closely so it doesn't boil over).
- 2Remove from heat and let sit for a minute. Stir in the 3 tbs of butter and the buttermilk. Stir until the butter has completely melted. Let mixture sit for about 2 minutes.
- 3Pulse the corn kernels in a food processor until just coarse.
- 4In a large bowl combine corn, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and Monterey Jack cheese. Stir to combine.
- 5Gradually add enough of the hot milk mixture to make a very thick batter.
- 6Heat griddle or large skillet over medium high heat, and melt 1-2 tbs of butter until the foam subsides.
- 7Drop about 2 tbs of batter into the skillet for each arepa. (They should be about 3 inches in diameter) Cook until underside is golden brown, about 4 minutes, then flip and brown other side.
- 8When the arepas are cooked on both sides and the batter is cooked through, sandwich 1 slice of mozzarella cheese between 2 arepas. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking just until the cheese melts, turning once or twice. Continue filling and cooking the remaining arepas.
- 9Best served hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosalita's Arepas Con Queso
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.0
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 413.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 15.7 g