Recipe by Kelly M.
My mom, Rosalie, made this pie for the first time about 20 years ago. Everyone that has had it asks for the recipe, and it is known by all of her friends all over the country as "Rosalie's Ice Cream Pie". It is my favorite ice cream pie. You can use different flavors of ice cream if you like, but I still prefer the original. Prep time does not include freezer time.
- 2 pints good quality vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup light Karo syrup
- 2 1⁄4 cups Rice Krispies
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1 pint vanilla ice cream in refrigerator to soften slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir peanut butter and corn syrup until blended, then add rice krispies, stirring until well coated.
- Spray a 9 or 10 inch pie plate with cooking spray, then press cereal mixture onto bottom and up sides and form a"stand up" edge.
- Evenly spread one pint softened ice cream on crust; freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare fudge sauce: in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, cocoa, heavy cream and butter until mixture is smooth and boils, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in vanilla, and cool fudge sauce slightly.
- Remove pie from freezer and pour 1 and 1/4 cups fudge sauce over ice cream.
- Return pie to freezer and freeze until fudge sauce hardens, about 20 minutes.
- Remove second pint of ice cream from its container to medium bowl and let stand at room temperature stirring occasionally, until its of smooth spreading consistency but NOT melted.
- Remove pie from freezer and spread ice cream over fudge sauce.
- Drizzle remaining fudge sauce over ice cream to make a pretty design.
- Return pie to freezer; freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
- If not using the same day, when firm, wrap with plastic wrap and foil and put back in freezer.
- There is usually extra fudge sauce which I spoon over pie when serving.
- Remove pie from freezer for about 10 or 15 minutes to ease slicing.