Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a family favorite. Sometimes I substitute chickpeas or other beans for the kidney beans. I suppose if you like ground beef, you could substitute ground beef for the kidney beans as well. If you love cheese, by all means, use more ... if I've got enough I do!
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- salt and pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Saute garlic, onion and green peppers in oil.
- Add cumin and chili. Cook for 2 minutues.
- Add flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes or longer. (Sometimes I'll simmer it for longer. The flavour is better the longer you simmer it.).
- While the tomato mixture is simmering, make the cornbread mixture.
- Mix together the eggs, mild and oil.
- Add the cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Mix.
- Add the corn. Mix.
- Grease/spray 9 x 13 pan.
- Pour 2/3 cup cornmeal mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese on top of the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour tomato mixture on top of cheese.
- Spoon the rest of the cornmeal mixture around the outer edges of the pan, on top of the tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese in the middle of the pan, on top of tomato mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
This was so good. I love having corn and cheese in the same recipe so this is a standout. the spicyness was just a nitch above mild so I liked that very much too.
Very tasty. A bit disappointed that the sodium content is so high but if you don't use canned beans it will be much lower.
I really enjoyed this meatless casserole ! I served it with some light sour cream . I plan on making this again and trying different beans !