Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my Great Grandmothers Coffee Cake. It is a very forgiving recipe. You can use butter (melted or not), margarine, Crisco or oil, white, whole wheat or mixed flours and it comes out the perfect every time. Apples, pears, blueberries or any fruit all work well. Cinnamon and sugar the top to your liking. I've even made it into Mini coffee cakes in a mini muffin pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Then cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, then milk, and mix in the flour mixture.
- Spread batter into 2 greased and floured 8-inch cake pans.
- The batter will be thick, and only come up 1/2-inch.
- You can thin the batter a little if you wish, but then the fruit might sink.
- Slice and core apples, peel if you wish.
- Arrange the fruit on top of the batter.
- Dot the top of each cake with butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar to taste.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
This was a very easy to prepare. It is indeed a very low cake - but I didn't mind this at all. It is very attractive with the browned appe slices set on top. I found the taste to be very good, although it got a little too hard on the bottom and the crumb was a bit dry. I think next time I would check this earlier - at around 20 minutes, to perhaps alleviate this problem. Lovely with coffee. Thanks for sharing.