Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from the little Italian lady across the street, the same one that sends my hubby home with all sorts of lovely treats after he has plowed her driveway in the winter. He usually comes back half in the bag and toting treats. lol. Gotta love Rosa :) I asked for the recipe for this one because it is not overly sweet, a nice afternoon snack.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour a 9”x11” cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mix together 2 cups of flour and the baking powder.
- In separate bowl, mix together until creamy, eggs, oil and 1 cup of sugar.
- Pour over flour mixture and blend well.
- In large bowl, mix together rhubarb and remaining flour and white sugar. (Do not make this mixture ahead of time as the rhubarb will become very tallowy.).
- Pour batter over the rhubarb mixture and stir until rhubarb is covered with batter and pour into prepared pan.
- Mix brown sugar, oats and cinnamon together and sprinkle over top.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until center springs back.
- Let cool on wire rack ½ an hour before removing from pan.
Fantastic. Very nice!
My husband loves rhubarb, so this was made for him. He had to have 2 large pieces and couldn't wait for the cake to cool down. Enough said. LoL! Made for Everyday Holiday Tag. :)